For weeks I have been wanting to make chocolate chip cookies, but who has the time with an infant attached to your arm? Finally last weekend Micah fell asleep at a reasonable hour (7:00) so I quickly got all my ingredients together for the cookies. the recipe I was using called for 1/2 or 1/4 a cup of shortening, I don't remember ever using shortening in a cookie recipe but I went ahead and added the shortening. It is important to mention that I have had this shortening in my pantry since I've been married (Nov 2005). It had funky smell but I thought to myself that is just what shortening smells like. I finished adding the ingredients and as they were baking I ran out to run an errand. I was excited to come home thinking I would enter my apartment with the sweet aroma of chocolate chip cookies. Oh no, when I walked in all I could smell was the stench of funky shortening filling my apartment; it was awful! So in light of this devastating experience I want to know, can shortening go bad? I thought it had an endless shelf life.
Fiasco #2 Who likes really, really ripe bananas? I know the Taylor's don't at all. When bananas get too ripe in our home we make Banana Pancakes. Ryan took over this project as he has done several times before. He is a very good cook when he applies himself. On this occasion however he got a little out of hand. Ryan was using the blender to mix all of the ingredients and as it was running he went to add the eggs, he not only included the egg whites and the yoke he let the shell slip right out of his fingers. OOPS! Needless to say we started all over and finally enjoyed a decent treat over the weekend.
Friday, April 18, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
This reminds me of the time that I was dating Travis Douglas and we made cookies. Well we mistook the salt for sugar. We kept adding it, and adding it, trying to get it sweeter. Well we figured that by the time we were done, there was probably 2 1/2 CUPS of salt in our cookies. It was NASTY! But we laughed so hard that we cried when we realized our mistake. Maybe the shortning could have given you a little "high"--like it fermented. You totally should have eaten some!
Post a Comment