Thursday, April 16, 2009

This is for all of the skeptics out there.

Why is it that every time you try to show off your baby, he (or she) doesn't deliver? For Micah's first Birthday, My brother Alex got Micah a program called "Your Baby Can Read". It is a great program and Micah LOVES it. I could tell that after the first month Micah's language had increased. A few weeks ago I was testing him to see how much he had learned. I would hold out 2 cards with 2 different words Dog and Clap. Then I would ask him "which one says dog"? And I swear to you he picked the right one. I did it a few more times with other words and he kept getting them right! I was so excited to see how well Micah was learning from this program. When Ryan got home later I tried to show him Micah's new skill, no luck. Eventually Ryan saw that Micah could actually read. I have also tried to share Micah's skills with some family and Friends and nothing, he tends to get stage fright.
Fast forward and then rewind to yesterday, Micah and I were playing with his flash cards. This time instead of asking him to pick between two words I showed him one word at a time and then asked him what it said, "Keys, Dog, Arms Up, Cup, Hat" he would either do the action for the word or call the word out. I was so shocked, I really couldn't believe what I was hearing. He doesn't always say the word or even get it right, but he's new to reading so back off! :)




*The end of the video cuts out, Micah is saying "Kah" (keys)

10 comments:

Jen said...

That's way cool. I may have to try this with my future baby!

kristinann said...

Wow!! Very impressive!! Lia wouldn't know any of those words! I need to get workin!! So cute!

Marisa Jean said...

Brilliant. Your child is simply brilliant.

Alissa said...

I want that! thanks for sharing.

Camy Katherman said...

I've actually seen the commercial for this program and I have wanted to get it for Aeslyn. I'm glad to see that it is working with someone I actually know. Thanks!

Andrea said...

Very cute! I think most of us underestimate how smart little kiddos are. It is all about memorization. Their minds are much better at it than adults minds are.
Sorry to ramble...I studied human development. I get off on tangents sometimes:)

Adam and Cassie said...

I totally wanted to get that and everyone made fun of me. I knew it would work.

Marisa Jean said...

I just watched this again, and seriously, he's such a brainiac! I love it!

Courtney said...

That is amazing! I want to know how it works. Do they have a website or something? I guess I could google it.

Hope you guys are doing well- it looks like you are! Micah is adorable!

Lesley said...

Micah is ready for first grade in the fall!