The following will solely be an explanation of our experience, I promise I am NOT complaining. We arrived in Washington D.C. on 8/15. We woke up bright and early the next day to go to church. After our meeting we were able to round up a lot of help for our moving day (which was suppose to be Wednesday that week). After church we met the Realtor and had a tour of the house. We loved it and told him that we wanted the house. The following day we were planning on signing the lease and working out all the other details so we would be ready to move in. We also received a call that the moving truck would be arriving 1 day early meaning Tuesday, the very next day Tuesday! We had a very hard time reaching our Realtor and his colleague (who had our paper work) all day. We had called multiple times through out the day and Ryan and I were both starting to become very anxious, frustrated and very irritable. When we finally reached Stan (Realtor, I have changed his name for his protection, lol) we informed his that our things would be arriving a day early, He told us that wouldn't be a problem and he would have someone call us so we can get everything squared away. Several more hours later it was dinner time and we still hadn't heard anything. Just as we we're packing up to go out and find something to eat the phone rang, it was Stan! Ryan seemed very unhappy as he sat and listened on the phone and I knew right then that we weren't going to be moving into that cute little house. Apparently the Landlord wants to do work on the foundation of the house before anyone moves in. This project was estimated to take 5 days. We didn't want 5 days to turn into 2 weeks or a month, etc. so we decided not to wait to move in. We made a few calls and got a few suggestions of places we could go check out. unfortunately all of the apartments we were calling were done showing rooms for the day, or no one had rooms for immediate move in. After a couple hours we received a call from someone we had met at church the day before. He and his wife had a few appointments lined up that night for apartments they were going to go see, and invited us to come with them. We went and met them immediately. To my surprise we were looking at apartments in a High Rise! One of them was still occupied and the other was available Immediately. The apartments were much farther than we wanted to live but we heard that they offered a free shuttle to the metro, they also have a pool and a fitness center. The family that had invited us to tag along with them also invited us to come look at their apartments and they gave us dinner ( I can't believe how wonderful and helpful and kind people have been out here). Finally at 9:00, we got some dinner (4 hours after we had intended to eat) and tried to make a decision about where we were going to live. Ryan and I felt so much pressure to pick a place, it was too hard to choose that night, so after sleeping on it we decided to go with the high rise. We are very pleased with our decision so far. My BIGGEST complaint (now I am complaining a little) is that because we were moving in immediately, the landlord didn't have the apartment cleaned up for us. I can handle most if the dirty work but the carpets are so filthy. We have done some cleaning to make ourselves feel a tiny bit better, but we still don't feel comfortable enough to walk on it bare foot; except Micah who only wants to go around bare foot). Our main goal at this point is to finish unpacking all of our rooms, so we can get the carpets cleaned. That it our move in story, I could probably go on and blame the Realtor, or the Landlord, or the moving company, but why? The fact of the matter is it didn't work out. And most importantly, we are very happy in our new place.
This photo is not for the faint of heart
These dirt little feet are a daily occurrence, this is after a few hours of playing on our dirty carpet. I feel like I am constantly washing Micah's feet

2 comments:
that's too bad you didn't get that cute house! sorry to hear that. our carpets weren't cleaned either and so there is a dog smell everytime I vacuum! Lots of mystery stains too! I feel your pain.
OH MY GOSH!!! What a nightmare! I'm so sorry! Thank goodness for the ward! I'm glad you found a place!
Post a Comment