Well I can't believe how fast the summer flew by. I think I only posted once the whole time I was back in UT with my family. Now that I am back in DC I need to get serious about posting on my blog so that Grandmas and Grandpas don't get mad because they don't know what's going on with their Grand kids.
Moving back to Washington was not an easy feat. We arrived back in this great city late on a Thursday Aug 12, the following morning we met up with our Realtor and got the keys to our new place, and then a few hours later we signed our lease. The last few weeks we we're so focused on finding a place to live and signing our lease but we completely looked over the other [just as important] details. The rest of the day was spent working out the logistics for our big move for the following day. It took several attempts and several hours to secure a truck, a babysitter and people to help us move but we did it. Just in time too, my cell phone was moments from dying and I left my charger in UT. We also made a stop to our storage unit to grab some essentials that would help us get through the night (air mattresses, pack and play, and blankets). I had a very detailed list of our inventory so finding our stuff was a breeze, Seriously!
The following morning we got up bright and early and went to go pick up a friend who was going to help us unload our storage unit. After we picked him up we needed to go pick up the moving truck, after about an hour of getting lost trying to find the moving truck place we called to get directions. Then we find out that the truck that we supposedly reserved was never available to be rented out in the first place. So here we are with one of our helpers, no truck and 2 boys that were suppose to be with the babysitter. Oh shoot the babysitter! Yeah, I couldn't call her because my phone was dead and though Ryan's phone was very usable he didn't have any numbers that I needed. So now our plans were falling through but we decided to head to the storage unit anyway. I made several more calls for moving trucks and the whole city and surrounding areas were all rented out.
Wen we finally made it to the storage unit, I ran into my friends who were going to help us babysit/move. Thankfully their plans that morning had shifted around last minute and they arrived to meet us just after we got there. I had been worried the whole time that they were sitting their waiting and I had no way to reach them. We still didn't have a truck but I felt so relieved to have our helpers with us. The storage facility had a moving truck that they loaned to the renters moving things into the storage unit so Ryan tied to persuade them to let us use it since it was clearly not being used. They would not make any exceptions, however, they referred us to a local company couple doors down called Cadyco who rented our an assortment of things including moving trucks. Success! they had a truck and then we were back on track.
Our new place is so little so we had to get rid of and loan a lot of furniture. The piece that was the hardest to get rid of was our kitchen hutch that we use as an entertainment center. But you gotta do what you gotta do, and we had to get rid of stuff so we could fit into our new place. So once the truck was filled, we made stops delivering all of our furniture to goodwill or to different friend's homes. Then Ryan took the truck to our new house to meet a new group of guys who would be helping unload the truck. Meanwhile I took our friend home who was most likely exhausted from our morning adventures. For the next hour I tried to figure out how to get home. Unfortunately our GPS broke so we have been getting lost a lot lately, needless to say, I don't foresee many outings in the near future unless I get it fixed or get a new one. Like I said, it took me an hour to get home, I had to keep zig zagging through the streets until I found a street I recognized.
Unloading the truck went very well, the only problem we ran into was getting mine and Ryan's bed up the stairs. The stair case is much to small to accommodate my bed. Thankfully there is a door in the boys room that has been bolted shut so we pulled out the tools and pried the door open. The guys carried the bed up a ladder and got it through the door and into my bedroom. The Plexiglas was unfortunately broken in the process but that's an easy fix.
Once we got all the boxes moved into the house, we made our way to Cadyco to return the truck. we grabbed a quick dinner and stopped to buy a phone charger for me and a wall mount for the TV. After a long day we were finally home, the only thing left to do was turn the key and walk into our new house. Sounds so easy when you put it that way. Not so! Ryan accidentally left the house key hooked to the truck key. Remember that door we broke earlier that day? That was the best thing to happen that day, we were able to get back into the house!
When we made it home we set up the kids room first, with beds and blankets and once they were asleep we got started on the kitchen. The unpacking process has been going very well. Because this house is so tiny, we have had to get creative with storing things but it's all working out very well. So far the boys bedroom is my favorite room, it is so colorful and fun. Once we get the whole house put in order I'll share pictures, but for now I can share a glimpse into the kids fun room.
I chose to share the shelf picture first because we are really proud of it. We got the idea on all things thrifty, don't you love them!?

2 comments:
Wow that sounds like quite the adventure!! Glad things worked out well and I wish you the best in your new home!
This post makes me tired. I hate moving--but even more so when nothing goes as planned. I'm glad you got in finally.
Those shelves are SSSOOO cute! I'm impressed! Can't wait to see the rest of the pictures.
Post a Comment