Monday, July 2, 2012

Sam turns 2

Birthday Boy!
Sam turned 2 at the end of May. We had so much fun celebrating. We just had a low key party of 4 celebration, but it was perfect. We started the day with balloons all over the front room, then we let Sam open up his gifts. Later that morning we took Sam and Micah to Yards Park, which is a splash park off the Anacostia River waterfront. It is one of my new favorite DC spots. I can't get enough of it! Neither can Sam or Micah they ask about going all the time.Yards park has an amazing splash park. There is your typical fountains that spray up from the ground and at different levels. So you never know if your going to be splashed in the knees or in the nose. this section is on the upper level of the park and the fountain has a waterfall connected which leads to a large pool of water. The pool is HUGE and it's only about 12 in deep. I feel very comfortable letting Micah splash around on his own while I stay with Sam. I am so afraid to take my kids swimming alone, but Yards park is very doable and we all love it!
Sam enjoying the pool at Yards Park

We made Sam a yummy pizza and had some cake and ice cream. Sam asked for a Chocolate cake for his Birthday, I had originally planned to make a lemonade cake but that was purely for selfish reasons. So Chocolate cake it was. I have never made a chocolate cake that I like but this time, this chocolate cake was so good. I have never make anything so amazing in my life and I'm not sure I can ever do it again. But of course I have to. I wish I had a reason to make it right now, but I think it is going to have to wait until my birthday. Yes, I would make my own birthday cake if it meant eating that amazing piece of heaven again.

Sam (and Micah and mom) blowing out his candles
We ended the day with a family movie night. It was a fun day. Sam got lots of phone calls and packages from family. He had a really good time.

As part of my effort to give homemade gifts, I wanted to make Sam some overalls. I had a really hard time finding a pattern that I liked so I decided to make my own pattern. It was a lot of work but I am so pleased with how the overalls tuned out. I think he looks adorable in them!
Sam sporting his seersucker overalls I made him.

Sam at 2

Sam is very polite, he always uses names when speaking to you. If I sneeze I always get a "bess you Mommy", if he needs to apologize, "I sorry Mitah". For some reason he get's really irritated by Ryan and you will often hear him say "No Daddy!"

Sam loves to play trains. ever since Sam has sparked his train interest, Micah has come back to playing with trains and they can be up building a track, and crashing their little trains in their room for hours!

Since Sam's Birthday over a month ago his biggest accomplishment has been to potty train. Yesterday morning Sam kept complaining that he was poopy, but every time we checked his diaper it was clean. so after a few minutes I offered to take him to use the potty. He relieved himself on the toilet and had such a sense of pride when he was done. Of course we we're celebrated his success the whole day and decided that we definitely had to encourage him to keep using the potty. He had about a 50 % success rate on day 1.  We are on day 2 today and Sam only had 1 accident. He is so enthusiastic about using the potty. I think his main motivation is to flush the toilet when he's done. I love it I am so proud of him!!!
Sam wearing his first pair of underpants

Favorite toys- trains, cars, sand box, and water table
Favorite books- Gordon's new view (Thomas and friends story), old hat new hat
Favorite food- pizza, avacados, chips, all fruit, trail mix, popcorn
Favorite place to play- Yards park, back yard (sand box, water table), bedroom
Favorite place to sleep- On the floor next to his bed
Favorite song- Jesus wants me for a Sunbeam, Friday (Rebecca Black)
Sam and Micah with their new water table from grandma and grandpa and new swimsuits from nana and papa

Sam loves
- pass (pacifier)
- bear
- Gordon
- bath time
- when daddy comes home
- read (be read to)
- his shoes off 
 
Sam does not love
- getting out of the bath tub
- going grocery shopping
- walking, he insist on being held
- eating anything except what was listed above
- bedtime
- chore, these consist of putting his pillow on his bed, getting dressed, saying a prayer
- piggie back rides
- goodbyes

1 comment:

Marisa Jean said...

I cannot believe you made that pattern up. That is amazing!

Maybe I should start listening to the ques my child is giving me and we'll get through potty training easier. I'm seriously dreading it more than anything on the planet. Ugh.

But seriously, Sam is probably the cutest boy on the planet. I love how light his hair is and how much he looks like a Pappas. :)